Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Unexpected Trip to Utah

We unexpectedly had to make a trip to Utah last weekend. Brandon's grandfather had passed away. He was a man who had lived a long, long time (91 years) and had a great life. One thing grandpa Royle had on his fridge was a saying, "I'll endure to the end, EVEN if it kills me." And he did endure to the end. He was an amazing man, who taught us so much about the scriptures and life. He will truly be missed.



Brandon & I got to go to the Salt Lake Temple on Friday before heading up to Logan for the funeral. The Salt Lake Temple is so beautiful and so are the grounds, especially at this time of year with all the lights. Grandpa and grandma Royle were married here December 9th, 1941 (2 days after Pearl Harbor)
Each one of grandpa's grandsons were palbearers and they each wore a red rose on their lappel at the end of the service, each put their rose on the casket.


It was also unexpected to get to spend an early Christmas with Brandon's family, we didn't think we would see them until spring. All of his brothers came except one, who is on a mission. Saturday night all of us stayed in Springfield with Brandon's aunt and parents. Us girls went to the Orem Mall and the boys went and played including sledding down huge hills in the dark in the snow.



It was so cold & snowy in Utah on Saturday, I don't remember ever being that cold, but when we returned to Portland, there was snow everywhere. I felt like we brought back the weather with us. It's been a few days and we still have snow here in Portland. This picture above is of our front yard when we got home. (Thought we were still in Utah).
PS-Caleb stayed with my parents, I had never been away from him that long, it was weird and great to be with adults for an entire long weekend. I truly missed him and wouldn't let go of him the entire night after we got home.

2 comments:

Lorie said...

Too bad we missed each other, maybe next time! It was FREEZING over the weekend!!! Glad you survived!

Mandy said...

Sorry to hear about his grandfather. Beautiful picture of the temple. Glad you made it home safely. Can you believe all the snow...crazy I feel like I'm in utah! I love it!