Thursday, January 5, 2012

Illness

We spent most of the winter and spring of 2011 in and out of the hospital with McKenna. She had numerous colds that turned into infections. Ear, sinus, tonsil and intestinal infections. Bronchitis, even some pheumonia. There was another thing, she wasn't talking at all, no response. We couldn't figure out why. I pressed and pressed to have them figure out what was going on. Finally they did, the result, she couldn't hear us, from all the ear infections she had scarring and fluid in her middle ear. After hearing tests and a consult with an ENT at OHSU/Doernbecher. They decided she needed tubes and her adnoids out. In May 2011 she had the outpatient surgery. We were so greatful all went well. From there, her speech began to improve dramatically. She was a totally different girl and best of all, she was no longer ill.

What a helpless feeling it is to watch your child be so sick and feel there is not much you can do, but keep them comfortable. I learned what it is to be an advocate to get her into the right doctors and best surgeons I could find to get her as well as possible as soon as possible. I am so greatful she is so healthy now and so full of energy.

No comments: